Monday, July 7, 2008

Beginnings-A Start To Another Unfinished Story

I have a bad habit of starting stories late in the night that never get picked up again, never quite materialize into a full and completed work. This is one such beginning.
Distant Destiny
Distant destinies
Awakening dreams
As heaven's drums
Rumble in the night

Lighting fills the sky
Storm clouds on the horizon
Limbs bending to the wind
As demons start to howl


Chapter One-Meeting of Minds

It was just after 10 PM, my favorite Clint Eastwood Movie, "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" flickering on the big screen as lightening raced across the foreboding slate gray sky, not a star in sight. Hitting pause on my remote, I went into the kitchen for a snack when there was a gentle, persistent tapping at my front door. Who would be out on a night like this, what mischief was afoot? Lighting a Marlboro, the flame flickering in the darkened entry hall I peeked through the first of the two doors.

Standing on my porch was a robed figure, perhaps 5'10". I was about to pretend sleep, avoid answering the door, call 911 when I heard a soft whispering voice, as if the words had filtered telepathically to where I stood, penetrating my mind.

"Please, let me in, I am in grave danger" came the female voice."

As if reading my thoughts (who are you?), the robed figure produced a small glimmering globe from out of the mists, and pushing the cloak's hood back revealed the most beautiful angelic creature I'd ever seen. Even on this stormy night, darkness enveloping the world I could see her iceberg blue eyes, shimmering almost translucent hair framing delicate pale cheek bones.

"Please, you must hurry, let me in I beseech you."

I knew better than to put the porch light on, quickly opening up first one, then the second door, moving too the side as this other worldly vision stepped in from the storm, thunder booming off in the distance.


"Quickly, lock the doors, turn off your movie, and whatever you do, don't answer the door. I shall protect us until they have stopped searching."


Obeying her order I quickly locked the front door throwing the dead bolt, then stepping back into the entry hall locking the second door as I had done the first. As I turned to face her I knew instinctively that my mundane ordinary life had forever changed, that the heavens had brought this mystical creature to my doorstep on this fateful night for a reason.

"Let me take your cloak, can I get you something warm to drink?"

"Tea please, and do you have a blanket? First though turn off the television, it will attract their attention."


There was no need to speak, I just nodded, pushed the button on my remote and headed up the stairs to the second floor guest room for some blankets before heating water for her tea. Who was she, where had she come from, and why was she being hunted on a dark stormy night?


Heading back down the stairs I paused; she had disappeared from the entry hall, her voice again intruding into my mind.

"I'm in here."

Carrying the blanket into the living room I saw her gracefully lounged on the small brocade love seat sofa, the shades drawn down, she peeking through the small crack between the window frame and the curtains. Without moving, not so much as acknowledging my presence she reached out to my mind.

"Please cover me; I am chilled from traveling in this weather."

Not knowing or understanding why I obeyed her silent request. As I laid the second quilt over her gracefully slender form her delicate hand snaked out, her finger ever so gently touching my cheek.

"Thank you for your kindness."

Emotions overwhelmed my senses, her touch sending a sad bittersweet wave of images coursing through me, tears welling in my eyes as a decadent, almost sinful melancholy joy washed over me. Visions raced through my mind of places I had never seen yet somehow knew. Her eyes watched, then smiling sadly she brushed away a tear as it rolled down my cheek.

"Off with you, I really do need that tea, and then we can talk."
Unsteady, my entire body trembling from her brief touch I staggered from the room to obey her command. Who was she, where had she come from, and why did I seem to recognize images I'd never seen? Reaching for the kettle I heard the doorbell ring, my heart racing as I heard her voice speaking without a word. I made a move to go to her, sensing a need to protect her even at the cost of my own life.

"Stay in the kitchen, they don't know that I am here. We are safe for now. I'll have some Earl Gray a lemon slice and a healthy dollop of honey."


Again and again the doorbell rang, my hand shaking as I turned on the faucet, put water on to boil. As I reached for a cup whoever was outside began rattling the door, a deep dark bellowing voice screaming over the storm, "If you are home open this door immediately, we command you to obey."


The rattling soon was replaced with fists beating, the door's frame groaning at the assault, "We are the gate keepers, sworn to protect and serve he who rules the earths and rides the sky."

"Ignore them; they are Lord Norwich's henchmen, here to send me to the same fate my father met this very night. You must trust me, they will leave us soon enough as it has been written, and then we will make our escape. Now please, do bring me tea so that I might gain strength for the journey ahead."


Henchmen, Lord Norwich, fate, our escape...what mystery and intrigue waited me? I was confused, shaken and yet there was acceptance I would travel with her, resigned to what fate had chosen for me. As I steeped her tea the banging subsided then stopped just as she had predicted. Though not asked for, I sliced some smoked cheeses, pared some apples and put a large chunk of ham left over from Christmas on a plate assuming she must be hungry. Placing everything on a tray I returned to the living room to find her sitting up watching me as I entered the room, the coffee table pulled over beside her awaiting the tray I had prepared.

"Please, sit beside me. I do so dislike dining alone, besides, we must talk while we have time."

Timidly setting the tray down, lowering myself onto the love seat beside her I stared into her eyes unable to break her hold on me. Her hand seemed to magically appear, gently stroking my cheek as again my tears began to flow, the visions again flashing before my mind.

"Who are you?"

"Stephen, this night, our meeting was destined, foretold long ago by the ancient elders long before either of us were born. Our future, the perilous escape we must make written in the stars. Let us eat, then we shall sleep as one and I shall come to you in your dreams so that you might know the fore telling of things yet to be."

Her second hand joining her first she leaned in kissing my tears away, her lips melting away resistance, as the images continued raining in upon my soul. I tried to speak; her finger touching my lips, instructing me not to speak.


"Could you please hand me some tea, slice us some cheese. You will need your energy come the dawn's first light."


We ate in silence, she watching as I sliced cheese, handed her chunks of apple, and laid thick slabs of ham on sourdough bread. When empty I filled her cup without being asked, watched her as she watched me, each of us alone in our thoughts. The food gone, her tea cup empty with none left to pour I stood up to clear away the tray.

"Can I get you anything, more tea perhaps?"
"No, we must rest and be gone before the break of dawn."
"But how, why and where is it we are going?"

"Soon enough you shall have the answers you seek. Carry the dishes into the kitchen, and then we shall retire upstairs. After you have drawn me a bath, I would like you to prepare fresh linens for our bed, light some candles so we might speak."


I moved off to the kitchen setting the tray down on the counter. The clock on the stove let me know it was 11:50 PM...not sure why I noticed the clock, took note that it was exactly ten minutes before midnight. Before I could give time to my thoughts again her voice found my mind.

"Come, the hour grows late."
As I came into the entry hall she was there waiting, the globe from the porch again in her hand.
"Tonight is ours, it has been written."

She lead me up the stairs, stopping briefly on the second floor landing, moving down the hall and opening the door to the attic never used. Squeezing my hand as she let go I again heard her unspoken voice.

"I must make proper preparations for your awakening. Wait right here until I call for you."

She ascended the steps, the small globe lighting her way, then vanished as she reached the top stair, made the turn into the cavernous space up in the eaves. I stood at the bottom stair afraid to breath as a gentle strumming vibration filtered down from above...stood frozen as a soft bluish green light grew brighter. The hallway began changing, bare aged plank steps suddenly covered in hand woven lush turquoise runners, the worn crown molding gilded in gold, marbled Italian plaster in deep lush emerald green, burgundy and ocher covering bare exposed lathing. Rich tapestries appeared as the smell of frankincense filled the air.

"You may come up to draw my bath."

No comments: