Friday, July 11, 2008

Where I Am From

" Where I am From". For some of us, where we are from cannot be written in one verse, a few stanzas of words spilled upon a page...we can though open a door into the mystery, share a part of the darkness that we've left behind in walking towards the light.




Where I am From
Darkness Into Light


There are voices I remember
"old song lyrics"
shelter from the pain
truth from youth
~~~~~
I still remember mother's Lemon Meringue Pie
You could smell it throughout the house
She always baked two of them
One for church, one for the family table
It was safer that way


Baking cookies for Christmas
Hungarian Butterhorns
each carefully accounted for
They were Dad's favorite
He had best get his fair share


There were rules to follow
To this day, I remember them well
Don't eat with your mouth open
Sit up straight
Get your ass downstairs


You could beg, plead and cry
It did not matter what you said
You again had broken a rule
You had to be punished
The beating was about to begin


The basement was a dark place
the coal room darker still
The rules were simple
You'd best be naked
Before he towered over you


Why do you make me do this?
You know the fucking rules
Hold your hands out straight
God I hate this
But you need to learn


Long after he had left
Mother would come down
Gather me in her arms
Upstairs I was bathed
Lotion applied to bruises


Black and Blue
I was tucked in bed
You know he loves you
He does it for your own good
Good night mom, I love you too.


Laying there in the darkness
a small child whimpered
later the pain would come
it was part of the learning
A part of Father's great plan


Just one small boy all alone
whispering under the covers


I'm sorry Daddy
I'll do better
I love you Daddy
I promise to behave
I won't do it again

No comments: